What’s the Difference Between Retinol, Retinal and Bakuchiol?
After the age of 30, cell regeneration naturally slows, causing skin to look dry and dull, and fine lines and wrinkles to appear. Fortunately, vitamin A (in the form of retinol and retinal) and bakuchiol (a natural alternative to vitamin A) can help skin cells behave as they did in their youth, speeding up cell regeneration for younger, plumper and healthier-looking skin. Here’s everything you need to know about the benefits of retinol, retinal and bakuchiol, and how to choose the right ingredient for your skin type.
The Benefits Of Retinol For Skin
Retinol works to alter the behaviour of aged cells and encourages them to act as they did in their youth.
- When the skin cell regeneration process naturally slows, taking up to 70 days to renew, retinol helps to promote cell turnover, working to restore a healthy 28-day rhythm.
- Retinol works to increase collagen levels, helping to plump the skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Retinol helps the skin’s natural exfoliation process, reducing the appearance of age spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Retinol lends skin a soft, smooth and radiant appearance.
What Is Retinal? How Does It Differ From Retinol?
Retinal is a non-irritating and more effective form of vitamin A. It’s very similar to retinol (and offers the same benefits), but the key difference lies in the way they convert into retinoic acid (the form of vitamin A that skin cells can process).
- Retinal converts into retinoic acid in one step, while retinol takes two steps.
- As retinal requires fewer conversion steps, it better maintains its potency and is eleven times more effective than retinol.
- As it’s more potent, a much lower percentage needs to be added to a formula to achieve the same results.
- Fewer conversion steps and a lower concentration means less skin irritation.
- Non-irritating, retinal is suitable for all skin types, even sensitive skin.
Frequently asked questions
What is Vitamin A?
Vitamin A can form an essential part of your skincare routine in its active form – retinol. A derivative of Vitamin A, retinol, and retinal, are known for their numerous benefits, including reducing the depth of fine lines and minimising the appearance of dark circles, whilst exfoliating the skin and promoting a youthful glow.
What Is Retinol?
Retinol is an anti-ageing skincare ingredient and a precursor of vitamin A,a nutrient thatincreases skin cell turnover. When applied topically, retinol converts into retinoic acid, a metabolite that uses vitamin A to helpcells grow and develop.
What Is Bakuchiol?
Extracted from the bakuchi plant seeds, bakuchiol is an organic compound with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s often described as the natural alternative to retinol, offering very similar benefits (though slightly less effective) without irritation.
Expert Tip: If retinol irritates your skin, opt for a retinal or bakuchiol–based product instead.
1. Bakuchiol Face Oil For A Morning Routine
Blending bakuchiol with precious oil, the Omorovicza Miracle Facial Oil boasts a lightweight formula that helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
2. Retinal Eye Cream For A Morning Routine
The Omorovicza Illumineye C Eye Cream blends vitamins A, C and E to help brighten, smooth and hydrate the eye contour. Its rich, velvety formula works to reduce the appearance of dark circles, puffiness, fine lines and wrinkles.
In the morning, after cleansing, toning and applying serum, gently dab along the eye socket using the ring finger to restore skin’s natural radiance.
3. Retinal Serum For An Evening Routine
Enjoy the benefits of retinal with the Omorovicza Midnight Renewal, a night time serum designed to stimulate optimal repair during sleep. Retinal helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles (lending the skin a smooth appearance), while microalgae restore the natural circadian rhythm and shield skin from the damaging effects of modern-day stress.
Every evening, apply to the face and decolletage after cleansing to wake up with skin that looks renewed and radiant.
5. Vitamin A Night Serum
Formulated with colloidal gold and vitamin A, Omorovicza’s Gold Night Drops maximises the benefits of the skin’s nighttime renewal. This transformative triple action treatment reduces the appearance of wrinkles, strengthens the skin, and brightens the complexion.
Harnessing the power of colloidal gold, the Gold Night Drops maximize the benefits of skin’s night time renewal. This transformative triple action treatment reduces the appearance of wrinkles and nourishes the skin at night, when skin is most receptive to healing, for a radiant and youthful glow by morning.
Apply evenly to a cleansed face and neck and follow with moisturiser.